As with most things in life, get a plan in place and get to work. I like to layout my pieces to be assembled in a neat little space. I have three components here (sorry ‘yall, I already glued the finial and collar together) that need to be married.
I find that starting with the top piece is easiest. This way, I’m not pressing a piece into the globe with a delicate finial in my hand… No, I haven’t broken one during assembly. Oh wait, yes I have and it was because I put the finial on first which then broke when I tried to put the top on… I do like to make the tennons fit rather snug. Not “go get a hammer tight”, but you get the idea. I feel that the glue should act as insurance if you will. It’s there if you need it, and you have to pay for it regardless.
For gluing the top, you must be conservative with the glue! Unless of course you like the way glue running down the side your ornament looks. Each to his/her own… I apply glue only to the tennon, depending of the diameter of the collar. For this ornament, I added the slightest amount around the base of the tennon also.
Here we are with the top glued in. I had already glued the eyelet into place before putting on the top. I make these out of spare guitar strings by creating a loop, I then wrap one end around the other so that the eyelet has threads, so to speak. Put a drop of super glue in the tiny hole in the top and thread the eyelet in. Done!