You know what they say… It’s gonna get worse before it gets better. Lord, did it ever!
As much as I love old machinery, I started to have my doubts and wonder if I would have been better off with some modern equipment. Since it took right at a year to resurrect this beast, I had lots of time to think “Is this really worth it?”
The appeal to this saw had two main facets, passing along the Shop Smith and upgrading to the tree slayer for free!
With the FREE aspect in mind, I did want to complete this project as affordably as possible. I used an angle grinder with a wire wheel to strip this entire saw. I’d like to pause here to reflect on all the hours I spent doing this. Also, this makes a HUGE mess, so do it outside or in your friends garage. I’ve still not finished cleaning up.
Now I need to go apologize to my wife again for making such a mess and tell her how great she is for letting me defile our garage like that. OK, I’m back.
I used Rust-Oleum primer and paint for this project and am happy with the way it turned out. I sprayed the paint instead of brushing. I used a harbor freight hvlp gun with good results. I’m not saying I’d use it to shoot lacquer on nice furniture, but it was certainly good enough for painting the saw.
I’ve used lots of paste wax to protect the table surface from moisture. You could also use car wax, which I may do in the future.
The bearings in the motor are not sealed so they have to be continually checked. I know I don’t want a bearing going out on this thing while it’s running! There are two oil cups at each end of the motor. The bearing actually sits in an oil bath and picks up oil as the motor runs.
Bellow are photos of the progression. I hope you like it!
If you are restoring an old piece of equipment I’d love to hear about it! Also, feel free ask questions, if I can help I will.
If you missed the first post about this saw, you can find it here!
If you’re itching to see the saw in action, here’s a quick video!