While turning some 20″ platters, I came to the realization that my beloved lathe needs a new heart. Not just any heart, a bigger, stronger, slower heart. Slower?
Yes, a new motor was in order for my lathe. The 2hp is good, but when turning large pieces at low speed, it lacks the torque needed. So, here is where the dilemma begins. My first thought was to get a 3 or 5hp motor with the same nameplate speed as my current/previous motor. But, then I have to replace the VFD (brain) with a unit that can handle the increased amperage of the bigger motor. AHHHHH!!!
Now on to attaching the pulley. I bought a keyed H-bushing and pulley from surpluscenter.com, mainly because it was affordable and fit my needs.
Having not used this type of pulley before, I did the stupidest thing possible when I initially tried to marry the pulley to the motor. I fully seated the bushing into the pulley and then fruitlessly tried to push the pulley onto the arbor. It wasn’t until this that I realized a H-bushing and pulley is tapered and not intended to be assembled in this manner. Luckily, I was able to separate the bushing and pulley using the jack screw holes on the bushing.